The Binsey Team Mission Community:
The Revd Tricia Rogers – Team Rector
The Rev Tricia Rogers was licensed as Team Rector on Wednesday 12th October 2011 by Bishop James.
Contact Tricia by phone on 016973 71541 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
The Revd Peter Streatfeild – Team Vicar
Peter, and his wife Elaine, spent 26 years as missionaries in India with USPG. They have two grown-up children. They returned to UK so that Peter could become a priest.
Licensed here in March 2008, Peter’s previous appointment was as Curate in the Solway Team Ministry.
Contact Peter by phone on 017687 76198 or email email@example.com
The Revd Clare Spedding – Team Curate
Clare is licensed as a Curate in the Binsey Team. Clare lives at Mirehouse with her husband John, they have two married sons, James and Jack.
Contact Clare by phone on 017687 75356 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
The Churches of Embleton and District:
There are three churches in the Embleton and District area; all are small country churches but well loved and charming. In addition, there is an Old Wesleyan chapel that is now a private home.
St Cuthbert’s church, Embleton:
St Cuthbert’s is 3/4mile south of Embleton village. It was built 1806 on the site of an older church. It was remodelled 1884 and an east window was added. There are two lovely stained glass windows by an unknown artist. The bellturret has two bells. The church is small, seating only 75 people and a small but faithful group of people meet each week for worship. Most weeks there is a Sunday School which meets in the adjacent Sunday School Rooms.
St Margaret’s Church at Wythop:
The present Church, dedicated to St Margaret of Antioch, as depicted in the North chapel window, was consecrated by the Bishop of Carlisle on July 31st 1866. Erected in 1865-6, at a cost of over £1,000, it was considered then and remains today, a model of simple ecclesiastical architecture. In 1881 the beauty of the interior was greatly enhanced by the addition of a finely-coloured east window of three lights. In the centre is depicted the Crucifixion, whilst scroll work forms the chief ornament of the side ones. This window was erected by Sir Henry Vane, Bart., in memory of his mother Diana Olivia Vane, (died 1875). Other coloured windows, a reredos, and the mosaic pavement of the chancel have greatly improved the appearance of the little edifice. The smaller chancel windows are in memory of Sir Henry Vane (died 1908) and Margaret Lady Vane (died 1916). The chancel pew bears the name of Sir Henry Ralph Vane. Two windows in the nave are by Charles Kempe – The Adoration of the Magi on the south west side, and The Entry into Jerusalem on the north west side.
Today’s St Margaret’s Church sits in a beautiful elevated location, overlooking the Embleton Valley and Bassenthwaite Lake, on land which belonged to the Estate of the Lord Inglewood, Richard Vane. The Church is unusual in having the porch on the north side because of the fell-side location. The Altar cross was made from wood taken from the ruins of the old church, and was covered in brass at the Keswick school of Industrial Arts. The memorials in the Church speak of the prominent families of this small community; principal among these are the Vanes.
The church was designed by Bruce of Whitehaven and replaced the old church which was located at Chapel Wood.
This tiny, stone-built, church which probably dates back as far as the 14th Century, though the earliest records have its erection in 1673, is now a ruin but it can still be visited at its sheltered and quiet location in Chapel Wood, Kelsick, below the southern slope of Sale Fell.
St Barnabas’ Church, Setmurthy:
The eclesiastical Parish of Setmurthy is one of the smallest in the Diocese of Carlisle, with a total adult population of only 93.
There has been a Church here since before 1225. However, the present Church was erected in 1794 at a cost of £107, the whole of which was subscribed by the inhabitants. Restored and modified in 1870 when the tower and belfry were added, the church is a no-nonsense, four square stone building. It contains, however, a charming and distinctive interior that features extensive and unusual pitch pine decorations dating from 1880. In 1903 the baptistry was added and this houses the old font dating from 1661. Originally a Chapel of Ease in Brigham parish, the church has several excellent stained glass windows; all memorials to the Fisher family of nearby Higham Hall. In 1835, at which time Setmurthy formed the extreme corner of the old diocese of Chester, the burial-ground was consecrated for interments by Dr. Sumner, then Bishop of Chester and later Archbishop of Canterbury. – Services are held on the 1st and 3rd Sundays of the month at 9.30 am
: Keys may be available on request from Mrs. N Laws, Tel: 017687 76483
The Old Wesleyan Chapel, Embleton:
A chapel for Wesleyans in and around the Embleton Valley was late in coming. It was not until 1863 that worshippers left East House, Jonathan Granger’s home, to begin worship at the newly-built chapel on what was then the main road from Keswick to Cockermouth. The cost of this building was £127. Sadly though, it was not very long after the chapel was completed that large cracks and bulges appeared in the structure and it quickly became clear to the Minister and his congregation that the foundations of the chapel had been put-down over a hidden spring. In consequence of this the chapel was unuseable. There were not sufficient funds to simply start again and it was to be another 40 years, until 1903, before the chapel was rebuilt, at a cost of £450. During the intervening period the congregation met in a local farmhouse (Netherscales). Services came to an end in the spring of 1970, and the chapel was sold in 1977. It is now a private house.